Wednesday, 27 May 2015

A killer in me is a killer in you.

Mr. Brad Ballack, the senior judge in the jury panel of Detroit High Court was in the ninth year of his service. Whenever a case arrived, it would be him to emerge out as a crusader and lead the remaining jury to a consensus. Ballack was stern and just. He believed in the principle of "an eye for an eye”. He was famous as BAD BALLACK among the others.

Ballack was looking in the case of Bilal Ur Rehman, the accused terrorist. He was arraigned of planting a bomb in the city, last year. Fifteen people had died and over fifty were injured. The proceedings were moving towards the end. Ballack had made up his mind to order "The Execution",  but before that he decided to have a glimpse of THETERRORIST one last time.
The terrorist was a man in late twenties; his beard had covered most of his face, amid the long hair and the overgrown beard was his hazel eyes. Albeit the proceedings were at the end, and the aftermath had to be his execution, he had been still as a statue. He hadn’t uttered a single word in the overall process. Ballack was amused at his grey existence.

“Do you want to say something in your defense?”

The convict didn’t move a muscle. Ballack reiterated his question, only this time with an elevated intensity. Still, there wasn’t any effect. Ballack was amazed to witness the young terrorist so keen to die, so dull, desperate to give his life away.
What was the terrorist thinking?
Why did he do it?
Why did he make his life so contemptible?

Ballack returned from the mystic tunnels of his mind, when suddenly “The Terrorist” started speaking. His voice was weak, yet musical and calm…

“My family lived in Kansas. We were happy in our small world. I had dreams. Didn’t I deserve it? I am an American, why was I treated differently? Was it because my god wasn’t crucified on a cross or rather he gave me a dark shade of color? After the attack of 9/11, my father went missing the next week. The whole society suddenly saw us differently. What was our fault? Where were we wrong? I lost my father; my family… was that right? Was it not the part of the killing? Why was it, that there was no electricity and water in my house, when the whole avenue had it at the same time?
The answers were given by none, yet somehow there was everyone to as me questions…
Life all of a sudden was drained of colors. I was alone. There wasn’t anyone to hold my hand. How could I survive? With each day passing by, I was sucked out of life. I was forced to leave my home and didn’t have a place to go.

I thought it was the end…
9/11 became 24x7 for me…

It was then when I met this group “jihad”. It welcomed me with open hands. They gave me a purpose to live for. They were people who cared about me. Suddenly, what I had thought to be the end was turning out to be the beginning for me. I could see a silver lining. I didn’t care about their intentions, when the world didn’t care about mine, that part of me was assassinated somewhere in the past. As the days passed, I could sense the rising of killer streak in my soul, I was becoming blood thirsty. God had no mercy on me, why would I have it for others… The world wasn’t a plain Jane, nor was I. It was the birth of a new Rehman from the ashes of the naïve child, who was burnt away in the solitude of racism.”

Looking in to the eyes of Rehman, Ballack was moved by the intensity of the pain present there. He was a judge, yet a human. Inevitably he had developed a soft corner for “The Terrorist”.Ballack remembered what he felt a few minutes back, and his feelings now, he wanted to cry for the guy. He could see a innocent man beneath the scary terrorist and he didn’t want to kill him now. Ballack was searching for words when the janitor reminded him of the time. It was a choice between his duty and his emotions.

He then decided finally, it was time to give the verdict. It was time now to change places with Rehman, he thought. He ordered for his execution and as the thud of the order died in the silence, he could feel the rising of a KILLER in himself...

He scribbled on the judgment sheet and wrote in the remarks section:-
                                                                `              
                                                                                EXECUTION-22/1/2011
                                                                     “A KILLER IN ME IS A KILLER IN YOU.”


No comments:

Post a Comment