Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Diary of a Soldier

Dear Diary,

I was late for promenade today; yeah a bit of scolding and twenty rounds, and it was all before we had a trip to the town, finally A BREAK!

Entering the city it was written ‘LA VIVA MEXICO’, and just the view of it enchanted me. It was a holiday after … a lifetime it seems. As soon as we were in the market, I broke off the cadre in to the bustling streets. I felt the joy of a kid entering Disney Land, unable to decide the ride he wants to take first. The market was huge, with pools of people pouring in from every corner, vendors shouting and howling, colorful dresses, children, and most importantly girls….they all seemed like people from different planet, I was an alien there.

Amid the hustle and bustle of the crowd my eyes went off to a couple standing on the right side of the cutlery shop. The girl was in purple gown and the guy in blue t-shirt.  The girl seemed to emanate an everlasting glow. She was holding a red rose in one hand and the other hand…well it was in the guy’s hand .Instantly I looked at my hands, fingers resting on my prized possession My  ’ MAVERICK-340’ –one shot and the person’s head is blown away in to titters of flesh! I don’t know what happened, I felt like throwing it away that time, my prized possession seemed like a burden to me. Why guns in my hand? Was I the one who deserved the thorns in the rose? I know these were idiotic questions, but they were bothering me….

I turned to the left and strolled on, locking those questions in the basement of my heart. I was a soldier. It wasn’t a day to waste, I moved on! There was a juggler brimming over his act, a fisherman bargaining with a woman, it was all amazing, yet I felt like a thorn was struck in my windpipe. The market was so different from my headquarters.
As I walked on my eyes caught a glimpse of a child coaxing his mother for a balloon, I was smiling looking at the child’s simplicity. In the meanwhile the chains on my hearts basement were sliding; the basement was opening again, hurling newer questions this time… Where is my mother? When did I last talk to her? Is she okay? Questions were zooming in like zombies walking around as dead ends… I was like in a dream, standing on a beautiful island, one second you see the beauty of the island and as you blink your loneliness engulfs you. I was pulled back from the mystic tunnels of my thoughts when I felt something soft in my hand…

I looked down, a small child was holding my finger, the touch was so soft, so tender, the child’s eyes were full of mischief, yet so naive! I was bending down to kiss him when his mother came and picked him up hurriedly, and turned away belligerently, as if I was a murderer. Didn’t I deserve a normal life? What was wrong in my uniform? The dress which was the heartthrob of the nation suddenly was like a murder’s attire. I was clueless… felt like the air was sucked away from my windpipe, I wanted to run away from the market, the Disneyland became a nightmare for me…

 Sitting now, I am thinking about all those incidents, and I am all nostalgic now… it’s like I am falling in the whirlpool of emotions and just can’t get a hold anywhere. I am a soldier, the one protecting this nation, still I feel as if I am an intruder here. I can’t get it, my happiness, accomplishment are all fading away. I felt like the human inside me died far back, buried somewhere in the Alba-in chains of duty and responsibility. The feelings of pride and honor persisting till last night are all flushed away, and it’s like an intense state of fervor. The dead bodies and the gore sight, the battleground now haunt me. It all comes back to me, I feel like a missile shot from the Armour , but without an aim…

I guess I will be able to console myself from this outraging war inside me, I guess I could feel worthy again… I wait for tomorrow with just emptiness crawling inside me…
  
“THE CRUSADER OF THE CIVIL WAR FEELS LIKE THE PRISONER OF WAR!!”    


No comments:

Post a Comment